Monday, November 8, 2010

Oy ve! Paté

1 lb fresh chicken livers

1 tsp cooking oil

(or enough to cover the surface of a frying skillet)

1 pat of butter


Sauté chicken livers in oil and butter over medium-high heat until brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Transfer livers with juices to food processor.


Add:


1/4 C mayonnaise

1/4 C sour cream

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp celery salt

¼ tsp freshly ground pepper

salt or a little soy sauce to taste

fresh sprigs of parsley (garnish)

Mix in food processor until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a small lightly oiled bow. Cover and allow to cool in refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving. Overnight is even better, as the longer this is allowed to set, the more the flavors have time to enhance the paté.


When ready to serve, cut a piece of wax paper the approximate size of the of the bowl lid. Place wax paper onto a platter. Turn out paté onto wax paper with the aid of a thin rubber spatula or butter knife. Smooth top and sides of paté with a rubber spatula or butter knife.

Garnish:Encircle the with sprigs of fresh parsley, placed along the edge where the serving dish meets the paté.


Serving suggestions: As a spread for an appetizer or party dish, serve with bagel chips. Slice with a small cake knife if it is a dense paté . As a sandwich filling, spread generously between two slices of pumpernickel or seeded rye bread. Add a thick layer of lean corned beef, brown mustard with a Kosher dill pickle on the side. Excellent with cole slaw and an ice cold coke.

©Wilma Carolyn Johnson Short

NOTES: When I first moved to Chicago, I was fortunate to have had an early introduction to the joys of Jewish deli foods. My first gastronomical delight was a corned beef and chopped liver sandwich on rye, or maybe it was pumpernickel bread, along with French fries that were some of the best I can remember.I thought after the first bight, the next thing out of my mouth would be Yiddish. The effect was not immedidate, but who was to know that a few years later I would be singing in a Yiddish choir. What fun! And later yet, Hebrew at a syagogue.

At the time of my first bite of corned beef and liver sandwich, I was having my first taste of the full-time work world at Swedish Covenant Hospital, kitty corner from a popular Jewish restaurant called Burt's. It is no longer in existence, but what a treat it was to walk over there with my co-workers once in a while for lunch or dinner. My supervisor brought me there for lunch early on in my short-lived, but too long, hospital careerer. I fell head over heels for this sandwich combination and order whenever I'm in the vicinity of a well-known Jewish deli or restaurant.

On a recent visit to Chicago, I was fortunate to have lunch at another popular Jewish restaurant in Lincolnwood (a north side section of Chicago). Sitting there with my good friend, Rebecca, I decided that my version of liver paté should be a part of my recipe blog. Realizing there are many versions of paté out there, I think mine is worth trying. Others call for boiled eggs, often called chopped liver. Some recipes call for brandy or a lot of butter. This recipe has a smoothness to it, spreadability, and delicious flavors that not all recipe can boast

I'm telling you, it's to die for!

No comments:

Post a Comment